STUDYING IN AMERICA
Experience American college life with Au Pair in America
As an Au Pair in America you will need to complete a study component as part of the visa requirements set in place by the US State Department.
We understand that some Au Pairs are excited to experience studying at a local American college or university, but other Au Pairs may not be interested in furthering their studies during their Au Pair year.
The good news is that, no matter how you feel about studying, there are many different options to fulfill the study requirement and we make it simple to enrol in classes and complete this requirement.
Just to name a few of the study options you have:
- Online via UCLA - Au Pair in America has a special relationship with the University of California which provides our Au Pairs with a specially designed online course to fit in with your work duties and schedule. The UCLA online course covers a range of topics on American history, culture and literature, and the best part is that it provides all of the credits necessary to fulfill your study requirement.
- At a local American College/University - All of our Au Pairs are placed within a convenient distance to a local community college or university. Most colleges and universities provide short courses or semester length classes that do not require a lengthy commitment, but will still provide you with all of the credits you need. You may study a variety of different subjects from arts and culture to business and health studies. Check with your community counsellor for more information.
- BMCC courses - In several major cities Au Pairs are given the opportunity to complete a special weekend course designed to give Au Pairs credits in exchange for a few sessions of learning. These weekend courses are provided by the Borough of Manhattan Community College. Some of these weekend courses combine a mixture of classes and homework with a weekend tour.
Benefits to studying in the USA:
- Learn - Expand your skills and add to your CV.
- Make New Friends - You'll meet other Au Pairs or American students in your classes.
- Have Fun - Studying at a local American college can be very exciting with student events, extra-curricular activities and groups, and college sports (American college football is huge!) offering just another aspect of the American culture.